Healthcare Start Up - 1 year
A digital health startup empowering the physical therapeutic alliance. By connecting the patient to the therapist outside of the clinic environment, patients can build better habits and therapists can improve outcomes.
- Akeso provides solutions to the problems of the therapists
- Organized patient profiles and a streamlined HEP database provided to therapists to help save them time that they would rather be spending with their patients
- By tracking the completion and pain feedback from patients, Akeso provides data analytics to show patient improvement which is crucial information
- With reminders to the patients for both HEP, Akeso improves patient engagement. Ultimately improving compliance of patients to their HEPs.
- Akeso also benefits the patients as well
- With a direct channel of communication to therapists, patients are more encouraged to ask questions, which would normally waste clinical session time with the therapist.
- They also have easier to understand HEP assignments
- And a progress tracker to boost morale show and encourage improvement
Pain Points:During the 8 weeks of Brown University’s accelerator program - Breakthrough Lab, we talked to a number of therapists, patients, and advisors to garner a better understanding of the barriers existing in the industry.
- Almost all the PTs we talked to said their number one headache was paperwork
- This is the documentation related to the patient's treatment that therapists provide to insurance companies for reimbursement aka money.
- It’s a tedious and repetitive process - wastes the time they want and should be spending with their patients
- Of the 50+ patients we talked to, only a handful ever reached out to their therapist outside of clinic time.
- Despite this, 70% have admitted to wondering if they were completing their HEPS correctly.
- Instead, they used it as an excuse to not do their HEPs till the next session - basically losing a week’s worth of progress.
- Patient engagement
- Age-old issue of patients who don’t do their HEPs.
- For context: Let’s say a patient goes to an hour long clinic session, three times a week. These three hours only make up a small percentage of the entire number of hours one spends awake in a week. If patients aren’t in touch with PT the rest of the time - they very easily forget the fact that PT is a 24/7 healing process.
- Also, we must note that patient's lie.
Cofounder - Lauren Ho
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org